2023 Design-A-Card Contest Details
The Design-A-Card Contest is an opportunity for students to create an original Hispanic design for the front of a blank notecard. The contest is open to any student of a member teacher.
1. All entries shall be submitted on a 5”x 4” piece of neatly cut white copy or art paper, index card, or cardstock.
2. All designs must have a Hispanic theme such as artesanía, cultural scenes, images, landmarks, maps, etc.
3. Designs may be black and white or in color. Designs must be reproducible on a color copier.
4. Designs must be ORIGINAL and hand-drawn; a ruler may be used if applicable. *No computer graphics, Google or computer-generated designs or copyrighted or imitated images. Any imitation of copyrighted images will be disqualified.
5. Any artistic media that is matte or flat (not glossy) may be used in the design. For example: pen & ink, marker, colored pencils, watercolor, acrylic, tempera, oil, etc. No designs accepted in regular pencil. Pale or pastel designs are not recommended nor crayon as they do not copy well.
6. Design may include words in Spanish.
7. Erasure marks or the use of white out are not permitted.
8. Utilize the complete space, background may be white or colored & may include a border.
9. STUDENTS should complete the first section of the entry form & submit it along with their design to their teacher. Parent or guardian must sign the release on the entry form.
10. The artist’s name is NOT to appear on the design. It should be printed in pencil on the back of the design so that it does not show through the design.
PLEASE – Do NOT paper clip or tape the design to the form. Paper clips mar the design.
11. On the back draw an arrow in pencil to indicate the top of the card. Place entry in folded student form.
12. TEACHERS must complete one teacher registration form and type the names of their students to avoid misspelling on certificates. Copied class lists can be used.
13. All entries become the property of AATSP – LI and will not be returned.
14. There will be three levels for entries:
•Senior High School (grades 9-12)
•Middle School (grades 6-8)
•Elementary School (grades K-5)
Eligibility: Any student whose teacher is a current member of AATSP for the calendar year of the contest is eligible. (Only one design per student) A parent or guardian must sign the release located on the second page of the entry form. Any entries that do not comply with the stated directions will be subject to disqualification. Students should submit design and form to their teacher.
Mail one Teacher Registration Form, a Student Registration Form per entry with signed releases, and Contest Entries to:
Great Neck South High School
341 Lakeville Road
Great Neck, NY,11020
Entries must be postmarked by March 20 , 2023.
Direct any questions to email@example.com
2023 Poetry Contest
The Poetry Contest is an opportunity for students to create an original poem.
1. All entries shall be submitted electronically and by mail. To firstname.lastname@example.org
And to: Gala Handler, World Language Chairperson
Great Neck South High School
341 Lakeville Rd.
Lake Success, New York 11020
2. All poems must have a Hispanic theme such as Art, Famous People, Spanish Speaking Writers, Geographical Locations,
Present and Past Political and/or Historical Events and any topic related to Spanish Language and Culture
3. Poems must be original- Any imitation of copyrighted texts will be disqualified.
4. Poems must be typed and accompanied by a photograph or original drawing
5. Students should complete the first section of the entry form & submit it along with their poem to their
teacher. Parent or guardian must sign the release on the entry form.
6. TEACHERS must complete one teacher registration form and type the names of their students to avoid
misspelling on certificates. Copied class lists can be used. Please insert the entry into the folded form.
7. All entries become the property of AATSP – LI and will not be returned.
8. There will be three levels for entries:
• Senior High School (grades 9-12)
• Middle School (grades 6-8)
Entries must be postmarked by May 15, 2023. (Click HERE for Entry Forms.)
Eligibility: Any student whose teacher is a current member of AATSP for the calendar year of the contest is eligible. (Only one poem per student) A parent or guardian must sign the release located on the second page of the entry form. Any entries that do not comply with the stated directions will be subject to disqualification. Students should submit design and form to their teacher.
Students may submit a formula poem or a free verse poem
All poems must be a minimum of 6 verses and a maximum of 20 verses.
For “Senses Poem”-(Formula poem)
A poem using the five (5) senses to describe an emotion or idea with the human senses. This is another way to express yourself by using color for sight, taste, sound, smell and touch. The final line expresses an emotional feeling or how it makes you feel.
GOAL: Write a poem using the five senses related to Hispanic Culture or Language, Political/Historical Events, Famous Hispanics, Art or Literature, Geography…
Line 1- Express the color of the idea or emotion.
Line 2- What does the emotion or idea taste like?
Line 3- What is the sound of the idea or emotion?
Line 4- Describe the smell of the idea or emotion.
Line 5- Express how the emotion or idea feels to the touch.
Line 6- Express what emotion the idea makes you feel.
- El migrante es el gris de las cenizas que caen del triste cielo
- El viaje tiene el sabor de metal oxidado de azúcar quemada
- Tiene el sonido de un llanto desesperado en una noche sin luna
- Tiene el olor del sudor viejo de los colchones en la casa de migrantes
- Siento el dolor de pies que han caminado en zapatos gastados de cuero podrido por el continente de América
- Te hace sentir anhelo por un sueño imaginado durante una noche soleada
Una poesía de los cinco sentidos
Esta poesía describe una emoción o idea con los sentidos. Es otra forma de expresarse usando el color, el sabor, el sonido, el olor, y el sentir. El verso final expresa una emoción o cómo te hace sentir?
Meta : escribe una poesía de los sentidos relacionada a un tema relacionado a la cultura y lengua Híspano, eventos políticos o históricos, Hispanos famosos, el arte o literature, geografía…
Línea 1- expresa de que color es la idea o emoción.
Línea 2-De qué sabor tiene la emoción o idea
Línea 3- Di como suena o que sonido tiene la idea
Línea 4- Describe cómo huele o el olor de la idea o emoción
Línea 5- Expresa como se siente al tocar la idea o emoción
Línea 6- Expresa como la idea o emoción te hace sentir
Eligibility- Teacher must be an AATSP member and the student must be in grades 6-12
There will be two categories-
- Middle School poems (Grades 6-12)
- High School poems-(Grades 9-12)
Students’ poems will be published on the AATSP LI Website and the winners will receive a prize.